Saturday, February 4, 2012

I haven't gone AWOL! Well, not really...

Apologies for the radio silence lately. I swear that it's entirely the product of bad circumstances, and has nothing to do with my (lack of) blogging enthusiasm and diligence - nothing!

You see, the following events occured in the last week or so:

1. MY LAPTOP DIED!!! Broke down, gave me the black screen of death, and brought life as I knew it to a screeching halt. I have been computer-less for exactly ten days and some fifteen hours. The first few days I now refer to in my head as "Internet detox". I relied on public computers, got lots of reading done, it was great and productive, etc. etc. etc. But for the last five days or so? I have been dying. DYING. It turns out that I do as a matter of fact required 24/7 access to my emails, Google, Facebook, Youtube, and so on and so forth. I've taken to haunting my College MCR common room for hours on end in order to satisfy my Internet-related cravings. It's been mildly disturbing, not to mention cold and lonely and utterly pathetic. (Why yes, I am writing this from the MCR as we speak! And yes it is 5:30am where I am right now. Pathetic, see?)

2. I hab a cold. It id sho annoying. Actually, 90% of my fellow Oxonians seem to be cold-afflicted at the moment. I blame it on the weather (it's getting properly cold here, we might even get our first snow today/tomorrow!), but mostly on the all-pervading dampness of the country and the temperamental functionality of the heating system of this place.

3. Hellary Term is well underway and tutorials are a-reckoning. I am, to be quite honest, terrified. I haven't written a real essay in ages, much less a philosophical essay on the semantic sting in Jurisprudence. Heck, I'm not even sure I understand what the question is!

(In less whiny news, Chinese New Year happened - we squeezed in 32 people in a tiny house and made our own dumplings, thanks to my mother's filing recipes - and I went to London (again) last week. I managed to take in the much-touted Da Vinci exhibit at the National Gallery thanks to a crazy friend-of-a-friend who lined at up at 5am, and then spent quality catch up time with a childhood friend.)

No comments:

Post a Comment